A Breath of Snow and Ashes is the 6th book in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Fair warning, I’m not going to write a proper review. At this point it would be impossible to discuss the story in ABOSAA without giving away too much from prior books. And, if you haven’t read them then you are missing out. Please remedy that now.
NONE of the main characters are untouched in this installment. My emotions went from happiness to misery to anger to contentment to sadness to boiling ferocity and then back to sadness. I don’t think I’ve ever read a book where I’ve wanted to crawl inside and kill someone before. ABOSAA took me to that point. If I had been able to do that I would have also throttled a few people while comforting others.
It’s been quite a ride so far. I still have one more to finish (An Echo in the Bone) and I will be caught up on the books published so far in this series. The publish date for the next installment (Written in My Own Heart’s Blood) was recently pushed back to July 2014. The wait may just kill me. Until then, I will leave you with a few of my favorite quotes from ABOSAA (yes, most of them are from Jamie…sue me):
- “If I die,” he whispered in the dark, “dinna follow me. The bairns will need ye. Stay for them. I can wait.”
- “There is an oath upon her,” he said to Arch, and I realized dimly that he was still speaking in Gaelic, though I understood him clearly. “She may not kill, save it is for mercy or her life. It is myself who kills for her.”
- “He reached forward then took me in his arms, held me close for a moment, the breath of snow and ashes cold around us. Then he kissed me, released me, and I took a deep breath of cold air, harsh with the scent of burning.”
- “‘Why d’ye talk to yourself?’ ‘It assures me of a good listener.’
- “I chose my way when I wed ye, though I kent it not at the time. But I chose, and cannot now turn back, even if I would.’
‘Would you?’ I looked into his eyes as I asked, and read the answer there. He shook his head.
‘Would you? For you have chosen, as much as I.” ”
5/5 stars. WONDERFUL!